Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Garmin Forerunner 610 Race Watch

I have not spent a great deal of time talking about products, but I have to give a shout out to Garmin for their Forerunner 610 GPS watch. When I got serious about running, I purchased their base model, the 110, and used it constantly to track my progress and to measure and map my runs. It was a great race watch to start with, but it had a few limitations. Nothing terribly significant, but I began to feel like my running had gotten to the level where an upgrade was warranted. After doing some research, I settled on the 610 and my wife was nice enough to give it to me for Christmas.

Now, bear in mind, the 610 will set you back about $400, so you should only consider it if you are a serious junkie for running data. Guilty as charged. Otherwise, the 110 or a myriad of other cheaper race watches will fit the bill. I have enjoyed the 610 so far as I have learned to use it. Mine came with the heart rate monitor, which is a great way to track your fitness during runs. I also love the fact that it is wireless, so I can upload my run data using the ANT+ system by having the within 10 feet of the computer. The other feature that I have enjoyed using is the "Virtual Partner," which allows you to program your desired pace and then track your actual performance against that pace. The watch shows you whether you are ahead or behind your pace, so you can adjust. Love it!



If you are just starting your running journey, you can probably wait, because I think the 610 caters to an intermediate or advanced runner. If, on the other hand, you are tracking your pace and adjusting your running style to improve your speed and endurance, the 610 may be ideal for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment