Monday, October 28, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon 2013 - A Review

ed
It took about 13 minutes after the gun for us to reach
the start line
By the most objective measure, time, the Marine Corps Marathon was not a successful marathon for me. It was my third full marathon and I had hoped to finish it in the range of 4:30. In fact, I finished in 5:04. And yet, by every other measure I can think of, it was a success.

Our Cornerstone Striders Marine Corps Marathon Crew including
 Cynthia, Amy, me, Andrea, Hank and Melissa. Jessica joined
 us as we were running up the Mall
Let me start with the people. We had a group of six Cornerstone Striders and one alumna running this race. For four of them, it was their first full. They all finished. Along the course, we saw lots of signs, but one of them stuck with me. It said "If you want to run fast, run alone, if you want to run far, run together." Although we did not all manage to keep together, we did for much of the race and we did have fun. In that regard, this was a great race.


The course is nothing short of amazing. I ran Richmond last Fall and loved it. But Marine Corps was better still. First of all, you are running with lots of other people. Something on the order of 30,000 I think. From the time the race officially started with the firing of the howitzers, it took about 13 minutes for us to cross the start line. With all those people, the run is much harder, because you get boxed in and spend a considerable amount of time and energy dodging and weaving around other runners. 
Running along George Washington Parkway toward Key Bridge
with Georgetown across the Potomac River
We navigated our way through Arlington and down the hill to Spout Run. Great downhill that opened up on a vista of the Potomac River with Georgetown on the opposite shore. The majestic spires of Georgetown University looked incredible. We worked our way up onto the Key Bridge and then turned right onto M Street into the heart of Georgetown. By Mile 5, we left Georgetown and passed the Watergate on the way up to Rock Creek Parkway. This was a long, gradual climb up and back spanned by some amazing bridges.
The Capitol marked the turnaround between Miles
18-19. An incredible sight.
Miles 10-11 took us past the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials and on to the long loop around East Potomac Park and then toward the Mall. Miles 17-19 took up the Mall and past the Smithsonian and the Capitol. The crowds were amazing lining both sides of the street. We then turned off the Mall and headed for the bridge. The street was stickered with footprints that read "Beat the Bridge."

At that point, the marathon was getting tough. For some, it was too tough. We saw a number of runners sitting down along the curb looking like they were done for the day. We were faced with some overpass hills going into Crystal City. Miles 22-24 took us through that part of Arlington on our way to the finish line. I was beginning to experience some significant upper thigh pain, which forced more frequent walks and required me to drop away from my Cornerstone friends. I got a much needed boost by seeing my wife and daughter cheering me on at Mile 23.
Courtney and Anne met me at Mile 23!


You could begin to feel the finish line ahead. We passed the Pentagon and passed back along the starting area on our way up to Iwo Jima. The sacred grounds on Arlington National Cemetery was on our left as the Mile 26 sign came into view. Only 0.2 miles left. Only one problem, they were uphill. And this was no small hill. I joined those around me chugging up the hill to the finish. What a feeling! The best part was having the medal placed around my neck by a young 2d Lieutenant along with a crisp salute. That was hard to beat.
Andrea, Me, Amy and Cynthia posed for a picture in
front of the Iwo Jima Memorial

Although I was disappointed with my time, the Marine Corps Marathon was a great race and one that I will remember for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment