Sunday, December 29, 2013

Bouncing Back from Illness

It's been a little over a week since the Seashore Nature Trail 50K and I haven't run a step. It feels like a month. Not by choice, of course, my spirit was willing, but my body was otherwise occupied.

Although I was a bit sore after the 50K, by Sunday evening, I felt pretty good. Even so, I decided that taking a couple days off from running was not a bad idea, so I opted for spin class on Monday morning. Several of my friends, who ran the 50K reported they were sick with fever and coughing. I decided that I had been lucky and, besides, I had gotten a flu shot back in October.

By Tuesday morning, the cough had started. It was an annoyance at first. By the time I left work at noon, it was heavier and more persistent. Well, just a cough, I thought.  I did some last minute shopping and headed home. Things were not getting better. By 8pm on Christmas Eve, my wife convinced me to go to Patient First. My cough was now accompanied by a low grade fever. So much for the Christmas Eve service at church. 

While I did not have the flu, the doctor diagnosed a "respiratory infection." He gave me drugs and I went home. I spent the better part of the next two days propped up in a chair. It may not have been the flu, but it sure felt like it. No running for sure!

By Saturday, I was feeling better and thought about running, but decided that there was a chance it could cause a relapse, so I bit my lip and stayed home. Now, it's Sunday, it's raining and running is not an option. By my estimation, this is my longest period without a run in 2013. Boy, do I need to bounce back!

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I'm so sorry. I suffered through the mega-cooties too… luckily prior to the 50K, but it was a doozy. It seems like forever but it isn't. Muscle memory is an amazing thing. Take this time to recover and rest, and you'll be back fresh as a daisy for the start of 2014. Chin up!!!!

    ReplyDelete