Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dailymile


As you probably figured out from my previous post, one of the things that I have come to enjoy is social running or running with a group. Although running is usually viewed as an individual sport, it lends itself to a group approach very nicely. A group tends to encourage you to improve your performance and to accept new challenges to extend your mileage or to sign up for races that you might otherwise skip. In short, a group provides positive reinforcement and encouragement.

In most cases, running groups meet up at a certain place and time; however, I have been lucky enough to discover what can best be described as a virtual running group called Dailymile. Dailymile is essentially a bulletin board that allows you to make friends with other runners and cyclists in your area and elsewhere to share your progress and to encourage others as well. It allows you to log your workouts and, once you have friended others, to comment on their efforts and to motivate them. I have found Dailymile to be a great help to me. The interesting thing is that, although I have over 50 "Friends," I have met only a few of them in person.

Dailymile is a great way to learn more about running from others who are doing it. It allows everyone to share their triumphs and to get much needed encouragement when they fall short. If you decide to check out Dailymile, spend a little time just looking around. I think you will find that it can help make you a better runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment