Monday, April 9, 2012

My Running Blog


Although I have done some blogging before, this is my first attempt at a running blog. I am relatively new to running, having started seriously in September of last year as part of my weight loss program. I had tried running before, back in the late 1980's and early 1990's, but my training was inconsistent and after a couple of 10K's, I lost interest. Flash forward about 18 years to September, 2011.

When I turned 49, I was determined to lose weight and get into better shape by age 50. That meant dropping about 120 pounds. I gave myself a year to be realistic. By September, I had dropped almost 80 pounds and felt like it was safe to try to take up running. Prior to that I had used cycling as my primary cardiovascular exercise. I had also been a regular walker. I decided to gradually run parts of my regular walking route until I could run the entire distance of about 5 miles.

My first efforts at running were, at best, embarrassing. I could barely run two blocks without being short of breath. Determined not to give up, I kept up my routine, slowly increasing my running segments. Soon, I was running a mile, then two and finally the entire five. I can still remember the day I finished a five mile run without stopping to walk. I was psyched. I was also hooked on running. Not only has it helped me drop additional weight, it has strengthened and toned my legs and ramped up my endurance. As of April, 2012, I have lost almost 115 pounds and have actually increased my loss goal to 130. I feel great!

As with most new runners, I have spent hours reading up on the "do's" and "don't's" and learning about my new found love. I ran my first race in 18 year in November, a 5K. Although I wanted to break 30 minutes, I came within 90 seconds of that goal. Since then, I have run an 8K, a 14K and in March, I ran my first half marathon. What an experience! I remember signing up in November and thinking I was out of my mind. My second half is in less than two weeks and I can't wait.

I set up this blog to help me talk about my wonderful experience with running and to pass along whatever information I can to other new runners. I hope you will check back periodically and give me your thoughts and suggestions. Meanwhile, I'll see you.....on the run in Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment